4 Ways To Upgrade Your Modem
There are so many great ways that you can upgrade your modem. This can be a very frustrating task if you don’t know what you are doing. I’m going to give you four great ways to upgrade your modem.
1. You can get a new modem. Make sure that it is compatible with the ones in your area and it will be much easier on you.
2. You can also get a new router. This is very easy to do and the technology is going down, so it’s not as expensive as it used to be.
3. You can buy a modem/router combination unit, this will save you money because they are usually cheaper than buying them separately and they are made to work together already so this makes it super simple for anyone to use.
4. The last thing that you could do is just call customer service and ask them what type of modems will work with yours and then go from there!
“Tired of paying $77 a month for uVerse? Now you don’t have to. In just four easy steps, you can turn your $10/month cable modem into a wireless router that does everything uVerse does for half the cost.
1. Purchase a $60 Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router from Amazon. If you buy it from the store, it’ll cost you about $80.
2. Plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the yellow “Internet” port on the back of your router and the other end into the modem’s Ethernet port.
3. Login to your router’s control panel by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser’s address bar and clicking enter (this may be different depending on what brand of router you have). The login screen will ask for a username and password; if you haven’t changed it already, leave the username blank and enter admin as the password.
4. Click “Wireless,” then click “Manual Wireless Network Setup.” Enter an SSID (network name), make sure “Wireless Security” is set to WPA2 Personal, then enter a strong password that is at least 20 characters long.”
It has been over a year now since I got rid of my overpriced uVerse service. I was paying close to $90 a month for basic television, Internet and phone service. Now I am paying $50 a month with DirecTV, VoIP and DSL. This is how I did it:
1. Get a DSL modem. If you don’t have one you can buy one online or in person at a local electronics store for about $100.
2. Get the DSL software you need from your ISP provider if needed and install it on your computer (you will need the modem’s serial number).
3. Call up your ISP to activate your account by giving them the serial number from your modem. They will set up an appointment for a technician to come out and install the phone line that will run from your house to the telephone pole outside (if needed).
4. Get a DSL filter if you have existing phone lines coming into your home (this is optional).
5. Once this is done you are all set with DSL Internet service!
1. If you have a cable modem that is not DOCSIS 3.0 certified, you should buy one of those. Why? Because cable internet providers are now offering 100mbps and even 200mbps plans for a cheap price, and most of these new plans require a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to run. Just buying a DOCSIS 3.0 certified modem will save you around $7/month in rental fees as well as enable you to get faster speeds on your plan with no additional cost.**
2. Another way to upgrade your modem is to get rid of the WiFi router you’re renting from your internet provider and replace it with your own router. Why? Because most of the routers they give you are old and slow, and can’t compete with the performance of modern WiFi routers. In addition, by getting rid of the router you pay each month, you’ll save around $5/month off your bill.**
3. You can also cut down on your plan costs if you buy a cable modem that has a built in WiFi router (a gateway). These devices offer WiFi performance similar to a higher end standalone router, but they also eliminate the need for one which means an extra reduction in cost each month (up to $
According to the Google, there are nearly 5 million home networking devices that are currently in use. But with these new devices, more and more people have started to realize the lack of convenience, control and choice that come with renting a modem from a cable company.
The good news is that you can make your own modem right in your home by just following the steps below:
Starting in the late 80’s, the cable companies started introducing what was called a “Cable Modem” to their residential customers. The technology was a great idea, as it allowed you to have a high speed internet connection without having to dial up, like you did with your old 56k dial-up modem. The cable modem had its limitations though, and those limitations were what turned people off from it. For one thing, your computer’s IP address was subject to change at any time. This caused problems for people who wanted to host a web server or game server from home. There was no guarantee that your IP would stay the same long enough for anyone to access your server.
A few years later, the telephone company had made a big stride in broadband internet with their DSL technology. It also had its drawbacks though and people who were on the edge of the service area often could not get speeds that were acceptable for online gaming and video streaming. A new technology was needed and the answer came in the form of Fiber Optics.
This new technology has made it possible to have high speed connections that are reliable enough to be used as game servers and video streaming servers. These connections are also capable of making phone calls via VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology